The Fight Against Failurism

What are the writers of your time like?

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Reasonable Rejection - part 3!

What's worse than rejection?

Yes, indeed, as one of my followers pointed out - no reply at all.

My deepest condolances to anyone in that position, published or otherwise.

The truth of the matter is that a lot of lies and misinformation is printed on this subject. Think of every book you have ever read on getting published - without exception, they all say publishers want well written prose, strong plot and dialogue, interesting and well developed characters... But what gets published?

Drivel!

Mediore pedestrian prose, with cartoon characters and cliched dialogue, incoherent and trite plots, often incredibly sensational and ridiculous.

But what happens?

Some of these atrocities become best sellers, movies are made, games are invented, books about them are published...

Is this phenomenon just due to the old adage, "mediocrity sells"?

I don't think so.

The public buys rubbish because they're told it's good - they would buy good stuff too, if told the same thing.

You all know the type of books I am talking about so I'm sure you have plenty of ideas on the subject - feel free to share them with the other reader(s) of this blog.

Tomorrow I will tell you my own well substantiated theory.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:27 p.m., Blogger Inkpot said…

    I had a very long dicussion with an author friend of mine last night. She has only sent out her novel to a couple of agents, and already she is thinking of giving up and looking at alternative routes. I think this is a good idea, but not yet. I think she is suffering from failurism. Perhaps you could write something inspiring in relation to rejections and the particular feelings of failurism they inspire. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home