The Fight Against Failurism

What are the writers of your time like?

Thursday, September 14, 2006

I'm Back!

Yes, indeed, back from fighting Failurism in the eastern regions of Europe. (You'll be glad to know that the natives no longer avoid traipsing through the field with the landmines so that they can get to the water well.)

One of the factors of Failurism that I had observed during my years of study is what I like to call The Risk Factor. In other words, what risk am I taking, what have I got to lose by undertaking a certain action - eg risk of rejection might prevent you from submitting to an agent, or fear of being blown to pieces might prevent you from going to the well for water.
To counteract the risk factor, you need to invoke what I like to call The Loss Factor. What am I missing out by not undertaking the action - eg the chance of being accepted for publication, or the opportunity for a life saving drink of water.
Therefore, don't prevent your thirst from being quenched (or your life being saved) by a fear of a landmine - or, to put it more strongly, don't allow a fear of rejection prevent you from posting off that manuscript!

Tomorrow I will discuss a new topic on my course - Reasonable Rejection. In other words, occasions when you can reasonably expect rejection and therefore should not walk through the mine field - typos, poor spelling and coffee flavoured stained paper!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad you are back from saving the failurism suffering eastern europeans!

     
  • At 4:11 p.m., Blogger Inkpot said…

    Good to see you back, I hope to get lots more tips on avoiding failurism and dealing with rejection :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home